Sunday, December 18, 2011

To laugh or cry...it's up to me.

The flu bug exited the front door while a blustery head cold blew in the back.  I have been down for a few days with it and could really feel sorry for myself but I couldn't stop thinking about my neighbor, Michelle, across the street with her respiratory and kidney infections...on top of having a newborn baby.  While John and the kids were at church today I got up the energy to make some homemade bread.  I snuck out of the house for a few minutes after dinner to take a loaf over to her.  I enjoyed a little visit with Michelle and her husband, Tyson, about the joys and challenges of parenthood then headed home...to find the downstairs toilet overflowing into the hallway and downstairs kitchen.  As I gagged my way through the unclogging and clean up I couldn't help but laugh at the irony of the conversation with my friends.  Yes, parenthood, has it's ups and downs.  All I can do is choose whether I will laugh or cry.  I read once that I should not wonder "if" disaster would strike today in my house but "which" disaster would strike today.  When I do that I am much more mentally prepared for whatever heads my way. 

No comments:

Post a Comment