Wednesday, August 15, 2012

"Be of Good Cheer"

I had the chance to visit with an "older" gentleman from our church today.  I felt I was in the presence of an angel.  He spoke with gentle love as he took me around his home showing me the artwork done by his sweetheart.  "She doesn't like me to make much of a fuss about it, but I love her and what she has created."  In the halls at church or sitting close to each other in Sunday School these two beautiful people radiate goodness and kindness to everyone around them.  Standing in their home I could feel that love enveloping me.

We stepped into his office to see the computer my husband had been helping him with and I was surprised to see a huge screen TV right there on his desk.  He explained that he is legally blind and even with this mammoth screen he still can not see what is on the computer well.  I had no idea!  I've known him for a year and never suspected that he was blind!  But in the same breath he took to explain his eyes he said, "Life is good.  We have each other--forever.  What more could we want?  We are enjoying life together."

I asked about his children and learned that 3 of their 4 adult children have already crossed to the eternities.  How much they have been through and how bitter they could have chosen to become.  I could have comfortably spent hours listening to his stories but he didn't want to bother me with the details.  He pointed out that he doesn't like to dwell in pity parties.  He is happy.

I left their home and slowly walked back to mine pondering on the beauty of life.  "Be of good cheer"...it is a commandment I too frequently break.

No comments:

Post a Comment